- People are allowed to and do smoke almost everywhere
- No low fat food (OK, you can find some in some places, and I don't remember the lack of low fat food).
- It is common to see large families
- You see kids unrestrained in cars (I still haven't seen anyone riding in the back window like I used to enjoy, but then cars have much smaller spaces there too)
- Full service gas stations
- Removable pull tops on soda cans (my kids think that these are new)
Back to the 70s
In some ways, the UAE reminds me of the US in the early 70s, at least how I remember those days (I was less than 10 then).