2006/01/24

Outrage

I love the Pittsburgh Steelers. I stayed up until 3:30 am on Sunday/Monday to watch them beat the Broncos. I have already arranged to take February 6th off so that I can get up at 3:00 in the morning to watch them in the Super Bowl. So I was embarassed on behalf of all Steelers fans with I saw this:

A 17-year-old high school student said he was humiliated when a teacher made him sit on the floor during a midterm exam in his ethnicity class - for wearing a Denver Broncos jersey.

The outrages in this story are so many, I don't know where to start. First, the teacher picking on the student for what he is wearing. Then the fact that the teacher is doing this to the student during a midterm exam. He should be fired for that if for no other reason, since obviously he doesn't care about academics. And encouraging the other students in class to join in the humiliation. The fact that this teacher probably won't be fired just illustrates what is wrong with the American educational system.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh don't get me started...
Please add to that list that it's amazing that story even made it in the paper, since most of the time these stories turn out to be lacking vital details. Not denying your concerns, just adding another perspective. In America mulitple perspectives are part of the problem AND part of the solution.

--a teacher.

nzm said...

Steelers win!

How are you feeling today? Hope that you're enjoying your day off!

cheers
nzm