2006/08/11

Roundabouts of Al Ain #2

I think that is is the roundabout that nzm was commenting on in the last roundabout post.  It doesn't have a name that I can tell, but it is at the intersection Jam'ia and Hazzaa Bin Sultan Streets, very near the entrance to the Maqam Campus (which is the girls campus) of the UAE University.

It does look like a glass house on a pedestal.

Roundabout

With a dead forest in it.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

A little closer, it looks better, but the glass is so dirty, it is difficult to tell.  I had never noticed before that there is a ladder going up to the glass house area and then within that up to the look out thing on top.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting



Without climbing the ladder, this is the closest that I could get to the plants.  I can't tell if they are alive or fake.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

The fountain sort of gets overwhelmed, but it is there.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

There is also what looks like a sprinkler from above, but I have never seen it working.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

One last thing:  I really like the landscaping on this one, especially the balance of the rocks and the grass.  The assymetrical border is a nice touch too.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting


4 comments:

just a mom said...

Ha ha ha!!! The first night I was here, I thought that was a piano up there in the enclosure (you know, jet lag and all). Now, we call this the Liberace round about because of my imaginary piano....

I think those plants are fake.

Arabized said...

yea its so strange, i always pass it :/

nzm said...

That's the one!

Looks like a cross between a glasshouse and a control tower!

Anonymous said...

I feel like taking my kids up there to climb the ladder. Some kind of Enid Blyton style adventure.

The other one you mentioned (earlier), near the Al Ain Hospital, my Filipino friend calls 'the bux'....as in "turn right at the bux..."